Sunday, January 30, 2005

Sunday Monday

This is day 4 of a 6-day stretch of afternoon shifts, and the unit is full of a demanding bunch of burgois. My house is not quite as it was for Christmas visitors. I still can't get to sleep until 3 am, and have been popping a bag of popcorn and sitting down to this screen after work each night for a couple of hours to wind down.

My wildest ewe has been in a stall in the barn for two weeks, full of milk, and still no lamb yet. 2 years ago, we had to chase her around the pasture for 2 hours with the lamb's head crowned before we finally got her in the barn to pull the baby out. He lived on to be Burdock, the ram. It's hard to tell for sure when a sheep is going to lamb. We turn on the baby monitor to the barn often, but all we hear is animals scraping hay to make a place to lay down. When we go to look at her, she stomps her feet at us.

I want time off to get started on my taxes. I want to brush out my cashgora goats. I want to take the llamas for a walk with my husband.

Two more days of helping people who've had their knees, hips and chests cut open and sewn back together move around and get ready to go home. Then I will be free for two whole days.



No comments: