Karma is the faint hope of those who have been taught to not take action on vindictive feelings. Most of my life I thought that people who counted on Karma were just misguided. It isn't that I thought they should take matters into their own hands - not that at all. I just didn't have much faith in "what comes around goes around," actually going around all by itself. Since I was well schooled in the attitude of non-getting-back, I usually sighed, moved on and resigned myself to being whooped.
But I've seen Karma come to pass enough times. I've come to believe in it, sort of. I've learned that some people really do test fate until it strikes them. One way I've seen this happen is in my employment situations. Every employer who has fired me has folded. Not that there are many, but it is true. I like to think that this is because I am a sort of litmus test person for business success. If an employer can't cope with my specific issues, they won't make it. I've never had to take any action in putting someone out of business. I also don't believe there is any Phantom of the Opera watching over me. I think the phenomena of closing businesses is a self-induced Karma of the employer.
There are also the nurses, doctors and politicians who are know-it-alls. They tend to know themselves right out of their jobs.
A few months ago, I wrote to a politician. After I sent the email, I reread it, and it sounded like a threat. I told them the same would happen to them as had happened to others in their shoes who didn't listen to me. It was a philosophical threat though. I had no intention of doing a thing to make anything bad happen to them. I was suprised afterwards that I had come to have that much faith in Karma.
The thing was, what I wrote was true, and I knew it.
1 comment:
I guess my feeling on Karma is that if we are worrying about other people getting what they deserve, we fail to look inward and gently probe our own areas of improvement. What will be will be, so no point in dwelling on the future.
However, I have often been told I am not proactive enough in my relations with other people...so I don't know.
Post a Comment