Monday, August 20, 2012

Shall we resume blogging? How about in APA format? I have been missing, but currently, I am working two jobs and going to school.

I have been a cardiac nurse for 6 years now. It is surprising that I have stayed in the same place for this long. There was a short-lived experience of working in the ED on a temporary bid that never transpired to become a permanent one. At high school graduation, I was supposed to become a fashion designer and come to our class reunion in a Lamborghini. Or, per our class prophecy that a choice few members of our class wrote, I would be seen on stage with a huge crowd, as a punk rocker with multi-colored hair, along with Lori Schmoe, former boarding school roomie. Alas, Lori has been dead a few years. Her seizure disorder, and quite probably a pending divorce finally took her life and left two daughters. We were perhaps the most reserved of our classmates. I carried a Bible in 7th and 8th grade in public school and tried to convert nearly everyone I spoke with. At the boarding school, I not-so-discreetly left tracts about the school, but by my senior year, my peers had worked on me enough to have tried my hand on getting drunk on rum and Coke with then roomie Trisha. We succeeded in virtual alcohol poisoning and being babysat back to sobriety to two of our saintly schoolmates, Alys and Imi. My wonderful high school peers will never let me forget either the tract-pushing nor the statement, "One more time," which apparently meant that I needed to puke in every toilet I passed on the way back to my room. I have no recollection of asking repeatedly, "One more time." There were some punk rockers in our class. Lori and I were not part of them. We listened to ABBA and John Denver, and John Michael Talbot. I was going on to Ohio State to major in clothing design, and had won several 4-H awards for my sewing by the time I graduated from high school. Indeed, I helped the Home Ec department and OSU Extension service put on the fashion review the summer after my Freshman college year.

Who would ever have thought I would have become a cardiac nurse? But that is what many divorcees are doing these days. It is the window of opportunity that has been opened for those who don't want to be on welfare with children the rest of their lives. Our elderly population is growing, and they desperately need our care. The medical establishment is trying hard to use the latest research to provide the best care they possibly can. They often shoot themselves in the foot, but I believe that most people genuinely try, despite themselves. My father and grandfather were Masons, and believed in public service, and community building. Down deep, somewhere, I do too. I should have been in the shower 10 minutes ago, getting ready for work. This is the life I lead now. Frozen dinners, ordering out, working too much and recuperating from work. Oh, and attempting to do my school work in between. My grades have been pretty good so far. It is "the life."

No comments: