Friday, April 08, 2005

Gambling Mindset

I have 2 nice doggies and a very nice husband.

This week, our part of the hospital was surveyed (aka "inspected") by the state. I was the charge nurse for 2 of the 3 days they were there. I don't normally work day shift, but I had the honor of being there this week. The state had one-up on us, as they got to evaluate a nurse inexperienced with the crazy day regimen. The two inspector ladies left me alone, but bothered just about everyone else there. For this I was grateful. The unit secretary told me she thought I did a pretty good job, and the assistant nurse manager told me I did great. (Gee, did I look that insecure???)

Okay, I'm going to complain a minute. It really bothers me when other staff complain about the work they have to do, and it is the charge nurse who generally has to stay over to make sure everything is done. I resent people with positions of less responsibility who have little regard for the commitment expected of those above them. The more they complain about their tremendous responsibilities, the less I feel inclined to relieve them.

But what really, really bothers me is some patients' families. Most of them are wonderful. But about 10-20% are looking for trouble. They expect the hospital staff to make mistakes, and stand in wait to pounce. They take notes. They watch the court T.V. channel. They talk incessantly about their lawyers. They brag about telling this nurse or that doctor off in intentional earshot.
That 10-20% of people, perhaps they have a true beef, but most of them, as I said, are LOOKING for trouble, and they can easily find it. What they don't understand - what they just don't GET - is that in a healthcare setting, finding trouble is not conducive to healing. I personally, as a nurse, feel that that 10-20% can just go home and take care of themselves, and get the hell out of the healthcare system altogether. I have no desire to care for an individual who labels me a failure before I step into their room.

West Virginia is in a healthcare crisis because of idiots like this. Pretty soon, the rest of the country will be. I was there when the doctors began to leave the state. I took care of patients who sued them. Doctors are not gods or money pockets for lump sum lawsuits. Patients are not funding for vacations and new cars. The whole system is very sick. Everyone wants something for nothing - and in our gambling mindset nation - we think we "deserve" it.
And likely, we won't have a healthcare system if it keeps up. West Virginia has to come out of it if we all have much hope.

Patient, heal thyself, and use only the little of what is needed from others to do so. We are all mortal.

No comments: