Thursday, January 12, 2006

Animal Facts

Reading back through old posts, I realized that there are a couple of things needing updated. Sabrina, the llama was never pregnant. I was very disappointed, but glad I hadn't paid $80 or more to have a test, just to find out she wasn't. She is an excellent guard llama and you aren't supposed to breed guard llama's anyway. But it would've been nice.

Pete, the dog, has long passed his acting-abused stage. He's killed more poultry, and we can't let him run loose now, except on short occaisions where he follows us to the barn to do chores and has eyes-on supervision at all times. He comes when called now, and is a happy, loveable adolescent. He knows several commands thoroughly. He will never make a herding dog, however. I'm trying to find him a new home, but am kind of settled with the fact I probably won't. We may make him a house dog after we get him fixed and he's a year or so old. He's still a little too destructive right now - but is far from the most destructive dog I've ever had. He will make a nice pet when he's a little older.

The 2 kittens are 6 months old, and I have an appointment to have them fixed. At $70/cat, that's $140 just to have 2 fixed cats. But I don't want any more cats. We have 5. Stephanie, the teenage girl 2 of them belong to, as it turns out, is only taking back one, and it isn't Zoe, the female. Good thing I got her spayed. Butterscotch is going to be a huge Tom (albeit a fixed one), and Frosty has lost her frost. She's all black except for her toes. However, the name suits her personality for a female cat quite well. She is not a lap kitty - lets just put it that way. I expect she will be a good huntress though.

So there you have it. Animals are not cheap, and they require a lot of attention. I am sure Pete's neutering and shots will cost a good bit too. I told my husband last night that we are going to keep 10 ewes and a ram, and sell the rest. I don't mind the goats. Shearing sheep is harder than putting up hay. The animals are halfway through the hay, and we don't have room in the barn for much more. My brother plans to build another boat in the other hay loft, and wants that space. So 25 animals will be our limit. They won't clear the pasture overnight like 100 would, but they will still clear it, slowly, over the next 5 or so years.

No comments: