Thursday, January 12, 2006

Unearthed, Debrambled Treasure

Yesterday I went for a walk in the pasture. I took a bucket full of pasture mix grass seed with me to scatter where the goats have eaten down the multiflora roses. WELL, the goats and sheep see a bucket, and they think FOOOD!!! (Well, it would be eventually). So they followed me all the way out into the pasture, 25 animals crowding around me, nipping on my pant legs to give them some. I felt like a real shepherd. I tried showing them it was grass seed - even let them nibble a little of it. They sputtered and looked confused that it wasn't grain. Goats and sheep are really dumb sometimes. Bucket means FOOD, even if it has grass seed. They gave up when I got into the brambles and went back to the barn.

In the brambles, I found some nice 10 ft locust logs someone had cut years ago, buried under multiflora rose bushes that were wasting away from goats eating them. The logs were thus recently exposed again to daylight. There are enough to finish my grape harbor! Now, today, I want to go out and clip a path through the rose bushes that are left, so the tractor can get through to pull the logs out. They are NICE logs, and still in very good shape.

I remember when they were cut. Back when the pasture was still somewhat clear of brambles, my dad was letting one of the neigbor farmers take them out. The neighbor brought his farm hand with him to help cut, stack and split the logs. His helper and I got to know each other a little too well after that...but back to the main topic. The black locust was so tough that they couldn't split the logs for fence posts, and they gave up and left them there. They've been sitting there for about 25 years.

My husband thinks he might have a go at it. He has split a lot of logs, even black locust. Some of them don't even need split. But are they ever heavy.

Now a lot of people would wonder at this being called a "treasure."

But I just spent over $70 on 6 treated posts for a grape harbor. That was $11.60 per post at the farm co-op for a 5" round by 8ft treated pine post. (I wanted 10 ft so the harbor would be a comfortable 8ft off the ground after the posts were set, but they didn't have them.) I need at least 4 more, and there are a good 6-10 right out there in the pasture, and 10 ft long! Pine posts have to be treated, or they will rot in a year or three, and all the work building a grape harbor will have to be redone. Black locust does not have to be treated - it will outlast a treated pine post. There are two grape harbors that need raised up to keep from the goats. And a chicken house to be built. I am very happy.

No comments: