Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Elderberry Jelly, Part IV, Mashing

What you see here:

A potato masher in a pot of 6 cups of elderberries. Yes, some of the stems are still on. If you try to remove them, you are guaranteed to go insane.

A juicer with one lemon's juice in it, and two lemon's seeds and pulp (this is the second batch). The recipe calls for 1/4 cup lemon juice. My husband later told me it made the jelly taste "too lemony," masking the elderberry flavor too muich. So I won't use it next time. I was just following the recipe.

A soup mug with a ladle in it, for skimming off the foam which never transpired in this jelly.

A pot with boiled lids, and a boiled tongs. I also boil everything I stick into the jelly or anything else I can, to keep it as sterile as possible. The jars are in the oven at 250 degrees on a cookie sheet. I am careful not to touch the tops when I pull them out with hot pads.

I might mention that I used pectin that expired in 2004. It is 2008. It worked just fine - my jelly set up beautifully.

No comments: