Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Homeschooling

We have embarked on our first experience at homeschooling. It is a most interesting experience. It has taken me months to sort out what kind of homeschoolers we really are, and to learn the rules and the lingo. We are eclectic and traditional.

My 16 y/o daughter was taking advanced classes in public school and did well to the end of her sophomore year last year. This year at home we are studying what she would have been taking: World History, Literature, Chemistry and Pre-Calculus/Trigonometry. She is also studying French, taking 2 art classes from the local Oglebay Institute (oil painting and ceramics); acoustic guitar lessons, and the HS principal has permitted her to continue being active in the drama club. She is the stage manager in the fall play. She's a self starter, so homeschooling her is probably easier than it would be some other teenagers.

"Homeschooling" a 2 y/o little girl is really just play. But I have printed out lists of things she needs to accomplish by kindergarten. I've already graduated 2 boys from high school. One of them was in speech therapy from age 2 to about 8, so I have a pretty good idea of what needs done already. I have been gifted with 4 healthy children who always could probably have done better if I'd homeschooled them, provided I had known what I was doing. So my second husband and I are going to try it from the beginning with this one. Well, the oldest I may not have had success with. He is very bright, but was always a challange, and I think having someone other than his mother teaching him was a wise idea. But the others could have easily been homeschooled.

I have help. The 16 y/o and my husband have been teaching the 2 y/o number recognition. I didn't realize this until last night when she was pointing at numbers in a book and saying their proper names. Preschool skill lists also help. Like I didn't realize that cutting out little pieces of paper with scissors was something desireable. My husband disapproved teaching her how to use scissors. We will just have to keep scissors in a secure place from here on.

The public school guidance counselor is worried about my daughter, and my pulling her out of school. She doesn't know it, but she is part of the reason I did. I hope to knock her socks off with what we accomplish at home this year and next. I think my daughter will do better without her guidance.

No comments: