Sunday, September 10, 2006

Breastfeeding Working Moms

Today I spent a LOT of time surfing. See, I belong to a yahoo group called bfworkingmoms. bf stands for breastfeeding. Someone posted on the group about a pump called "Whisper Wear," that you can use while driving! I thought, COOL. So I googled it, and again, I ended up somehow on the Lactivist blog. I love this blog. I also love Hathor the Cow Goddess. Makes me feel like my blog is BORING. Lactivist has all these neat links to other blogs, and ads from places she likes. I don't know how to do that, and I can't seem to figure it out. Also, I'm not quite the activist, sort of like the difference between Lucretia Mott, the Quaker minister pre-Civil War, and her rebel-rousing activist contemporaries, like Abby Kelly, who unintentionally incited the violent sentiments that led to the war.

And how do I include my favorite yahoo groups on the side?

I have been back to work as a nurse on an orthopedic/neurological unit since mid-July. Our baby girl has never tasted formula, and she just turned 3 months old. That is thanks to an Ameda Purely Yours breast pump. The hospital has a nice lactation room for employees, but our surgical floor is so busy that I often only get one chance in 8 hours to pump. I have a 45 minute drive to and from work. You aren't supposed to go over 4 hours without pumping. So if it's been 5 hours by the time I get off work, I pump rather than add 45 more minutes. Pumping in the car to and from work would be IDEAL.

Breast milk banks also were of interest due to a post about a new bank, Prolacta. Not that I'd ever pump enough to donate. At the end of the day, I practically have plans to open my own retail store. There aren't many places around other than Toys-R-Us who sell breastfeeding supplies. I'm just trying to figure some way to tie in spinning supplies along with it. I've also been keeping up with the raw milk debate in Ohio, and am thinking if I go back to school, of studying microbiology and trying to come up with ways to lobby for safe raw milk. Our U.S. culture is becoming so, so paranoid about disease control, to a point of being rediculous. They are going to regulate us out of being able to feed ourselves and our children for free.

Last night my husband and I strolled around the county fair with the baby in our Kangaroo Korner sling. That sling was expensive, but was one of the best investments I have made. We bought a $4 apple cobbler a la mode to share, and sat at a picnic table between the apple cobbler booth and the very familiar Ruritan building. I was putting dabs of melting ice cream on baby's lip for her to taste, and she was licking and smiling at this new game - which she liked very much. An old sheep farmer who gives shearing demonstrations, and his wife sat down near us and were enjoying the baby's coos and smiles with her first experience with ice cream. My 14 y/o daughter was off with a friend riding rides.

The animal barns are getting emptier. Most of the goats were meat goats - hardly any dairy ones. There were few 4-H sewing projects, and the ones that were displayed were beginning projects. Times change, but I fear the skills I learned are being lost to future generations. No, this babe will be home schooled. I think I can teach her much more that way. And this time I will breast feed as long as possible.

No comments: