Friday, September 01, 2006

Do You Remember?

A wonder, that last post. I had a baby the next morning. It was an ordeal I'll not go into right now, but I wish I'd had her at home after all was said and done.

What a life it's become...working as a nurse, pumping breast milk for my baby during breaks; a 19 year old in Phoenix going to college, a 16 year old starting his senior year in high school, but going to college in post secondary option and a 14 year old daughter in marching band for a high school whose football team usually goes well into the play-offs. Tomorrow is a game. The leaves are ever so slightly beginning to turn.

The farm is going to pot. Our finances are shot. Chickens pooping on the porch, no chickenhouse yet, matted dogs, and do I care? Yes, I care, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Not today. I keep getting flea bites, but we don't have animals in the house. On my belly, or my back, or groin. Why are there fleas in my clothes? Where are they coming from?

I picked up a paper at a booth at the Ohio State Fair on selling black walnuts. We usually have loads of them. I got home and looked up into the trees, and this year there are hardly any! What goes with the walnuts? No matter what enterprise I take, something happens where it doesn't work for me, somehow. Then, I found a tree that had a lot of walnuts on it. Maybe the trees go through cycles.

Tropical storm Earnesto is coming through the Ohio Valley, making it chilly. So the billy goats have begun to stink and breed. They do that when the temperature first drops in August. We will have to take some to the sale barn. We have too many goats now. We may also take some to the packer.

This sweet little baby girl sitting on my lap, warm and heavy and asleep - she is every bit worth a year of sliding behind all I'd "like" to do. She says, "Eah." That means, "I'm hungry." She has the prettiest, sweetest smile. So worth things going to pot for a little while.

I don't remember the 5th of September. I wasn't born yet. My birthday is in October.

No comments: