Saturday, June 21, 2008

The Garden on June 20th


I was taking a picture of the Job's tears, which were just weeded and are between the two row markers. But you can't see them very well. They look now like a cross between corn and grass. They are between the green pole beans (to the left) and the brussel sprouts which are just next to the beets. Out at the end, you can see the pumpkin plants have begun spreading, and you can see the corn peeping up behind the horseradish.
Oh, I have horseradish all over my garden. We let it grow where ever it sprouts. When the garden is tilled or plowed, each little bit that gets cut off tends to sprout and form new crowns. I dig it up with a garden fork and make grated horseradish often enough that I we try to confine it to certain parts of the garden, but it is growing out by the chicken house somehow.
There is a row of large Spanish onions next to the beans. I started the onions from seeds and transplanted them, and they are teenie tiny, so you can't see them in this picture at all. The blue pan off to the left is where I ended the green pepper row, and there are two rows of tomatoes further left of that. Then there is a row of herbs and tomatillos, then yellow summer squash, and then sunflowers which either never came up or got eaten by something. I am having a problem with ducks, chickens and groundhogs.

No comments: