Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Ate Their Words

Normally this phrase is used to signify revenge at an extreme or an "I told you so," more mildly. I hope that some people in a chat room eat their words about human nature in this war in Iraq that has not ended; and that the peaceful side of human nature does indeed win out.
Using "In God We Trust" as a slogan in any war is profane to someone like me, who does not perceive the god of the New Testament as a war god. Unfortunately, having faith in the side of human nature that desires peace is not a popular view nowadays. It is even asking for trouble in a chat room where military people are recruiting trainees to learn interrogation skills. I keep getting booted out of that "Religion" chat room, and I don't know if it is an entity of Yahoo, or if I am pissing off the administrator. I kind of think it's the latter.
There is a weird mistrust in people who support the war against those who don't support the war, even if those people, like me, come from historical Quaker upbringing. Quaker principals were involved in the founding of our country, yet most Quakers opposed the Revolutionary War. Even if 50% of the American public are descended from Quaker roots, most of them don't know a thing about Quaker principles. People in the military start thinking I'm Muslim, or better yet a terrorist; or even worse, someone "misled" by communist infiltrators twisting my brain and my ideology. If they knew anything about Quaker history or beliefs, they'd understand something about me very basic. I'm just a Quaker. And when it comes to that of God in every person, I'm not a "pie in the sky utopian." I'm just very simply...right. Every human being on this planet has some good in them, and if you affirm the good, it will grow. You may not affirm the good enough to turn them from being a terrorist. But you can instigate change, however small.
On that premise, someday, those military buffs will eat their words - particularly if it truly IS in God that they indeed, do "trust." Because they will lay down those guns.
But if the vengeance and glutton for violence in them has been well fed, and they are closet atheists, they might just shoot me, or incite me to violence to prove their point, and their reality will live on.
But don't anybody to argue with me that this resolution would in any way be "good." May they eat their words, and enjoy doing so, if there is an iota of good left in their souls.

No comments: