Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Kidnapped by Indians

It's a beautiful, sunny Tuesday. I just worked 4 days in a row - one afternoon, then 3 nights. I slept well last night. I can't decide what to do first.

I had not read a novel for a long time. A couple of Sundays ago, my daughter talked me into going to the book store at the mall. She takes a long time to pick out books. She bought two, and had one read in a day. I told her I was going to have to take her to the library instead of the bookstore. She claims, "There's nothing to read at the library!" That's 13 for you!

The book store is my favorite shop at the mall. Novels on Scotland and Ireland appealed to me, but in the end, it was Jimmy Carter's "The Hornet's Nest." What sold me was the good bit of attention to the history of Quakers in the south during the Revolutionary War, and the book hasn't disappointed me.

One day, when disillusioned with it being a man's world, I decided to see what was straight back my maternal line - mother to mother to mother, and on. Geneology has long been a hobby, although not a serious one. Quaker geneology is relatively easy, since the Quakers were anal about journaling and writing down their business. What I discovered was a story I'd heard before, but did not realize it pertained to ME. My grandmother's grandmother's grandmother was kidnapped by Indians in Georgia! I think it was the Creeks who kidnapped her. It is a true story not unlike the one in "Dances with Wolves." She lost the memory of her English language, and she married the man who rescued her. I am a direct maternal descendant. I think that is so COOL.

It made sense. My grandmother knew a lot of native plants and their uses. She was educated, and a well-liked nurse; a quiet Quaker, but very socially involved in things like the local quilting group. She was like what a grandaughter's grandaughter of someone like that would be like.

So when I picked up Jimmy Carter's book, and saw that it had extensive information about the relationship between the Creek Indians and the Quakers in the south, I thought, neato. He is a lot better writer than I thought he'd be. I've been working on reading the book in between my daily routine activities. It isn't quite as engaging as was "The Da Vinci Code," so I am able to motivate myself to get work done in between reading. I may read some today, and work outside some also. I need to pay some bills, do some cleaning, water the tomato plants... maybe clean out my gutters or dig a ditch...we shall see.

No comments: