I am SO sick of that hospital floor. I just finished the 5th night of night shifts. I was scheduled for 4, but the full-time night shift nurse has migraines that act like strokes, and had one, and I went in for her. Her face and hand on half of her body get numb, and she can't use them. She has been hospitalized for them. That's what full time nights at a hospital does to a human being.
Several staff people on the unit have gotten shingles and had to take time off for them. We've had a few patients with shingles too. It seems like the year for it. I have an itchy, puffy area on my left upper outer eyelid, but I don't like going to the doctor for minor problems. They usually turn out to be nothing. But I don't want shingles on my eye either. I'd rather get put on Zovirax and have it not be than not get put on it and have it be. But I'm too tired to go to the doctor today. It's morning, and I just got home.
People at work tell me stuff about other people. I feel put in the middle of everything, and it makes me wonder what they say about me when I'm not there. Someone told me tonight that my being a Quaker was a news issue. Joy, joy. I have to watch that I don't say the wrong thing to the wrong person. On my way out the door this morning, an orderly from escort said, "Bye, nurse." He looked like my old manager from Domino's pizza 20 years ago, only skinnier. Nah. A guy in maintenance told me, "goodnight." On my way out the door, I remembered that someone in maintenance hunts on my farm, and he looked kind of familiar. Funny how day shift staff tell you "goodnight" in the morning when you leave - even people you don't know. I opened the door for a dressed up lady who looked like an administrative person's wife.
It started snowing on the way home, and sleeting. Then it turned back into rain. My husband is cooking me breakfast. I have a very good life.
No comments:
Post a Comment