I didn't know what a nor'easter was, except for a big snowstorm, so I googled it. I mean, everyone was talking about the nor'easter since last Thursday, and it's Monday, and the nor'easter is here. About 2 inches of it, so far.
A nor'easter is a storm caused when the jet stream gets so wound up backwards, that it creates a storm hundreds of miles wide that turns counter-clockwise, opposite of a hurricane, and on land. Because of jet stream dynamics, it "gets stuck," so moves real slow, and can last up to a week. The swirling storm causes the wind to come from the northeast, which in Ohio, is the wrong direction. Winds are supposed to come from the northWEST (cold winds - warm winds come from the SOUTHwest). The only time winds come from the east in Ohio, is when something is seriously wrong.
Fortunately, this nor'easter is only supposed to dump 6 inches on this part of Ohio. The 2 feet or so is supposed to happen further east, when it "gets stuck." That's if the weather channel people are right, which they often are not.
Unfortunately, my 15-yr-old son's private school is having "intensives" this week, and most of them are travelling. One group is even supposed to be backpacking. My son is going religion-hopping, going westward to Columbus, then south to Wilmington. I hope they are in Wilmington.
There was a 2-hr delay in most of the local schools today in anticipation of the snow. The problem was, it was raining, not snowing. After all the kids got into school, then it started to snow. The roads weren't too bad, still, when they let out, but I thought it was all rather silly. The superintendant who used to drive down the backroads before making a choice - he retired a few years ago, and I guess the person who replaced him doesn't do that.
Today I was in Bellaire trying to sign that son up for the academic program he wants to be in at the High School (going to college his Junior&Senior years and getting HS and college credit). Bellaire is in the deep river valley. About an inch had accumulated up on the ridges where we live, but in the river valley, the grass was green. People don't know there are parts of Ohio that act like the mountains. And all in the same school district.
Anyway, it looks like my son will be able to do the post-secondary option, but like taxes and financial aid forms, it is going to be more work...and here I sit, just writing about it...
No comments:
Post a Comment