Saturday, February 26, 2005

Tomato plants

I have transplanted over 180 seedlings in the past few days - mostly tomatoes (Rutger, red and yellow cherry, 4th-of-July) but also green and hot peppers, brussel sprouts, basil and cosmos. I had to...the kitty litter pans I used to plant the seedlings in looked too much like the real thing, I guess. Midnight and Zoe don't seem to bother the peat pots, once they're transplanted. I still have around 50 yellow cherry tomatos to go.
The Rutger tomatoes have already outgrown their peat pots, so I went out to the barn looking for bigger plastic pots today, unsuccessfully. I was standing outside of the barn, viewing the two holes from boards that have fallen off, contemplating how to get a ladder up there to replace them, when Ali Baa Baa (the ram) came and stood directly under my feet, staring up at me, and after a while began nibbling on my sleeve, to tell me he was hungry. So I fed everyone.
Bruce showed up around then, and helped finish feeding. Then I decided to finally dig a ditch around the old chicken house that has two walls fallen out and a creek running through it. Bruce decided to help me with that too. The pasture around the chicken house is a swamp. Or, was a swamp. We worked until it got dark and chilly.
This morning I woke up with a headache that turned into a migraine later, and I was out of Ibuprofen. We all ran some errands (including getting ibuprofen), then went out for a very late breakfast (around noon) at Denny's. It was packed full. As I paid the bill, the manager told me the electric at Bob Evans was out. My daughter wanted to go to the mall, and I wished that I had ignored her, as the electric at the mall was out also, and everyone was leaving. On Saturday afternoon. It took us a long time to get through the traffic and back home!
However, I feel good now. It was a very productive day. I mailed a letter with pictures of baby animals to my sister in New York. I got a lot accomplished, including a job that was so past due that the creek bed had changed its course through an outbuilding. (I think hurricane Ivan was partially responsible for that though). The plan is to get so much done that we'll have the gumption to build a greenhouse. Then my tomatoes won't take up so much of the living room in front of the picture window.

No comments: