Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Wearing me out

I have been sick with an intestinal something or other for about 3 days now. Why do I always get sick on my days off??? We managed to get the last sheep ready to lamb into a pen in the barn.
Today was busy. My 15-year-old son wants to take "secondary option" his junior year in high school, which means he goes to a local college for classes, and gets both college and high school credit for the classes. It requires a 3.5 GPA. He has a 3.67 GPA. The deadline to sign up is Friday this week, plus he has to enroll in the local public school. I had to run and get his transcript from his private school today, and I have a meeting the day between two night shifts, Thursday, just before the deadline. Joy, joy. The sacrifices we make for our children. I figure he earned it though. I'll suffer through it, and hope I don't get sicker.
My 13-year-old daughter is secretary of her 4-H club. They had a meeting last night and chose projects for the next year. She chose 3 - Writing and Reporting for Teens, a geneology project, and Market Lambs. I tried talking her into market goats, but she likes the lambs better. I know they require a LOT more work. I guess she will find out the hard way. I have a friend whose daughter won grand champion market lamb a few years ago in another county. I'll have to have her daughter come over and give mine some pointers. We are spankin' new at it, and clueless.
The pick-up's breaks are shot. I had it towed yesterday to the dealers, and they quoted me $1500-2000 "at least" for the job. Today I paid to have it towed to one of my brother's friend's who does mechanical work - he's been talking about doing it since December. I figure, it'll be at least summer before I can come up with $1500, so why not have this guy do it anyhow? Okay, so I'm already over $100 out, just in towing. It sucks. But if you have farm animals, you need a good truck.
Anyone who thinks there's money in farming ought to think again! Tax breaks, maybe - but not as much as you already spent! I went grocery shopping after paying the tow truck. I'm tired. My stomach is rumbling. I burnt the pizza.

No comments: